Many thanks to the lovely Catherine Fulvio of Ballyknocken House & Cookery School, Co. Wicklow for this recipe for Onion and Leek Scones featuring Killowen Farm Yogurt- these are absolutely delicious with a bowl of soup.
2 tbsp. butter/olive oil (for frying)
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 tbsp. leek, finely sliced
225g plain flour
Half tsp. baking powder
Half tsp. bicarbonate of soda
Half tsp. salt
50g. butter, cold, cut into pieces
40g. grated Parmesan cheese
200g. Killowen Farm natural yogurt
1. Preheat the oven to 250ºC/400ºF/ Gas 6
2. Heat the butter/olive oil in a frying pan and cook the onion over a medium heat, stirring often until lightly browned.
3. Remove the onion to a small bowl and cook the leek for 5 minutes without browning. Add to the onion.
4. Sieve together in a large bowl the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and sugar.
5. Transfer to a food processor and add the butter. Blitz for 3-4 seconds (or you can rub in the butter by hand until the mixture resembles oatmeal).
6. Transfer back to the bowl and stir in the onion and leek mixture together with the cheese.
7. Mix in the yogurt but keep back a little- only add it if the mixture is very dry. The dough should be a bit sticky but not wet.
8. Transfer to a floured surface and knead lightly for a few seconds.
9. Pat it out until the dough is about 2.5 cm thick.
10.Using a 5 cm pastry cutter cut out rounds and place on a floured baking sheet.
11. Bake in the hot oven for about 15 mins.
12. Cool on a wire cooling rack before serving.